“Within the boundaries of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is the largest and finest single collection of lighthouses in the country.”F. Ross Holland, Jr., Great American Lighthouses, 1994
Found near Wisconsin’s Bayfield Peninsula, the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is home to the highest concentration of lighthouses in North America. Known for its cluster of 21 islands and magical sea caves, several historical lighthouses are also scattered amongst the landmasses along the pristine shores of Lake Superior.
Since the mid-1800s, the navigational beacons have guided boats around the islands. Six of the lighthouses were listed as a group on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 under the name Apostle Islands Lighthouses. While the National Park Service offers tours of some of the structures, people often enjoy the views best by water and aboard an Apostle Islands Cruises tour.
What are the Apostle Islands?
Twenty-one beautiful islands, cliffs, sea caves, old lighthouses, and 12 miles of shoreline make up the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Peppered along Lake Superior just off the Bayfield County shoreline, the “Apostles” have been formed and carved out over time by the big lake.
Here are the 8 lighthouses of the Apostle Islands:
Raspberry Island Lighthouse
Considered the “showplace of the Apostle Islands,” the Raspberry Island Lighthouse was built in 1862 after Henry Rice, an influential St. Paul politician who founded the city of Bayfield, advocated for its construction.
The lighthouse was remodeled from the ground up in 1906, with the goal to expand its structure to support families. Parts of the old structure were incorporated into the new building.
While life on an island sounds relaxing, there were plenty of hardships to be had. In the 1880s, lightkeeper Francis Jacker tried to seek refuge from a brewing storm and was shipwrecked in the cold without food. Fortunately, his wife decided to visit and organized a search party when she realized he was missing. He was found three days later and an assistant lightkeeper was hired shortly after.
Outer Island Light
The Outer Island Lighthouse stands ninety-feet-high on a tall bluff and was built in 1874. The design of the structure was influenced by the Italianate architectural style popular during that time frame. A gorgeous cast iron staircase spirals up the inside of the tower to the keeper’s watch room.
Sand Island Lighthouse
Built in 1881, the Sand Island Lighthouse is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful lighthouses on Lake Superior. Unlike the other remote lighthouses, the island supported a small, year-round community of farmers and fishermen when the lighthouse was staffed.
Devils Island Light
First lit in 1891, the Devils Island Light eventually became the last manned station in the Apostle Islands. The lighthouse was automated in 1978, marking the end of over a century of lightkeepers tending lights in the Apostle Islands.
The Long Island Light Station
In 1897, the LaPointe Light, a 67-foot iron tower was built replacing a 34-foot structure on Long Island.
The Chequamegon Point Light, a 42-foot tower at the western tip of the island, was also erected in 1897. The LaPointe keeper had to operate both lights.
Michigan Island Light Station
There are technically two lighthouses on Michigan Island that make up the “light station”. However, one was supposed to be built on Long Island and the second was first located elsewhere.
The Michigan Island Lighthouse was erected in the spring of 1857 but was closed just one year later. Initially planned to be built on Long Island, the construction company for reasons not known went against authoritative wishes and built this unique structure on Michigan Island instead. Because of the error, the company built the La Pointe Lighthouse on Long Island without charge.
New Michigan Island Light Tower
In the early 1900s, an effort began to replace the Michigan Island Lighthouse with a higher light. This 112-feet-tall cylindrical steel tower was initially located near Philadelphia and was disassembled and brought to Wisconsin – becoming the largest light in the state. Originally built in 1880, the tower was transported to Michigan Island in 1919, where it sat on the beach for 10 years before being assembled.
Bonus: The Ashland Breakwater Lighthouse
Even though it’s not in the Apostle Islands, this nearby lighthouse is worth mentioning! Built in 1915, Ashland Breakwater Lighthouse is located at the end of a long and detached breakwater, which creates an artificial harbor. The tower shape is cylindrical, with a watch room on a hexagonal pyramid tower. Located in Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior, it is owned and managed by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Tour The Lighthouses Apostle Islands
The best way to see the lighthouses is from the water, aboard an Apostle Island Cruise. Don’t wait to buy your tickets! Secure your seat today.